Sunday 21 May 2023

Another Sharpe Mechsuit

Our fifth game in this series took place on an alien world covered with fungal growth. Weyland-Yutani (bio-weapons division) has set up a research station which has come up with some interesting results processing the unique fungal matter. Unfortunaltely the competition have gotten wind of it and are converging on the research station from two sides.

By now the rules work pretty well:

  • Patrol phase from Chain of Command;
  • Activation and reaction using the Sharpe Practice card system;
  • Combat is similar to Chain of Command (with some hard sci-fi tweaks).

My opponent brought his trusty Big Mechs and I brought classic power armored Space Marines and Terminators.

All is quiet around the reseach station.



Both my opponent and I first engage (and destroy) the Weyland-Yutani perimiter defenses.


But soon my marines are taking fire from the advancing Big Mechs.



Then one of my heavy lasers takes out a Big Mech!


I manage to damage another one with a missile, but then I run into trouble.



One marine has to eject from his broken suit and lands right in front of an advancing Big Mech.


He actually gets away, but his buddy (while trying to flank the Big Mech) is ambushed by the Weyland-Yutani garrision and gets killed, taking three Weyland-Yutani troopers with him.



 On the other side of the table, the marines are also taking casualties and try to get out of the line of fire.


Like in Sharpe Practice, three flags in a row trigger a random event. In this case my marines have set a patch of mushroom trees on fire whilst firing on the enemy.

Whooooshh!

Smoke and lingering clouds of anti-missile chaff/flare/nano-disruptors begin to cover the table.


Without enclosed suits these clouds are dangerous. When another one of my marines ejects after having lost a close combat encounter with a Big Mech he lands in such a cloud: from the frying pan into the fire. His buddy has more luck and makes his escape.


When the Big Mechs subsequently advance through the smoke and nasty clouds, they finish off my terminators and it's game over for me.



The game ran smooth. Some adjustments of the weapons firepower are needed and a simpler way of establishing suit damage. Eventually also some kind of points system is needed to balance the game.

And I want some Big Mechs too of course! I've ordered a few Heavy Infantry Strikers from Puppetswar that I intend to customize with lots of bits.


2 comments: