Saturday 13 May 2023

The bear fights back - Verkhniy-Kumkskiy

Winter Storm, scenario 12. The Germans are holding Verkhniy-Kumskiy and are fighting off waves of Soviet reinforcements when a Soviet mechanised brigade manages to move to their rear and attacks.

We rolled a dice and the result meant I was going to play the Soviets. In this scenario, the tanks deploy from jump-off points, the Germans have one tank more than the Soviets, but the Soviet infantry may deploy in the rear (anywhere on the German table edge, as long as they are 18" from any German unit.

The patrol phase ends with my opponent placing one of his jump off point near the table edge. My plan is to seize this jump-off point with the Soviet infantry and then force the end of turn with a full chain of command dice, taking away the jump-off point and lowering German force morale.


The Germans get the first turn, but end up not deploying anything. I seize the opportunity and deploy a Soviet section on the German jump off point and a T34 on the other side of the table. So far so good...


In rapid succession the tanks and panzers are deployed. The German command tank tries to blast the Soviets off the jump off point while the other panzers try to keep the T34's at bay.



The Soviet command tank takes a fatal hit!


The next one to blow up is the Panzer IV.


Meanwhile the Soviet section on the German jump off point is steadily taking hits.  I manage to remove shock with the junior leader but his luck runs out and he is killed.

What is worse: I can't seem to roll any fives. So no full Chain of Command dice to end the turn and take away the German jump off point.


When the last Panzer III arrives I find out I made another mistake.


I deployed a T34 with his side exposed to the Panzers. It is hit several times and takes multiple types of damage.


Both my opponent and I increase our efforts in the fight for the jump off point. He deploys his sdkfz 251 with a German section while I send in another Soviet section with a senior leader.



And an AT rifle team.


Still not enough fives for a full Chain of Command dice!

My badly positioned T34 is finally knocked out.



And while one of the Panzer III's finishes off the Soviet AT rifle team, I succeed in knocking out another Panzer III.



The Soviet Leytenant has been busy running from one section to the other section, frantically removing shock while men are being hit by German machine gun bullets and HE. I'm down to 4 command dice. Still no full Chain of Command dice to end the turn.

And then it's over for the Soviets. The Germans score four hits on the last remaining Soviet section.

All kills.


Remarkably the Leytenant and a junior leader are the only survivors. But the Soviet force morale is down to zero.



The Germans win. My plan failed. But it was exiting to the very last. 




No comments:

Post a Comment