Sunday 19 November 2023

Project Star Wars part 16: More ships!

You can never have enough spaceships (until you run out of storage space that is). So when I saw this thread on the Leadadventure forum, I bought the Zurg mothership.



The shape and size of the ship make it suitable for a lot of roles. It could be an Imperial ship (Moff Zurg's ship), a Zurgian Rebel Alliance ship, a Privateer ship or a ship from any faction outside of the Star Wars universe. I decided to keep the paint scheme simple so it could be used for all those purposes.

First I removed the top (it's easy to unscrew) and spraypainted it grey. The purple spines on the lower half were spraypainted black. The red tips are separate pieces which I kept in the original colour (the separate parts of the ship are pictured in the Leadadventure forum thread).


Then I drybrushed highlights on the entire ship, picked out some panels and painted them red and used a dark metal wash to fill in the panel lines. As a final step I added some black smudges and weathered the edges with dark grey paint.




Lando is from Imperial Assault (28mm).


The same Leadadventure thread has a reference to a converted Paw Patrol ship. I had come across this blog entry from Chicago Skirmish Wargames before and managed to get a cheap second hand one (figure is a 28mm Crooked Dice ghostbuster on a 25mm slottabase).




Although I admired what the Chicago Skirmish Wargamers had done to convert this ship and I did copy part of their paint scheme, I didn't trust my scratchbuilding skills enough to change the cockpit in the same way they had done.

But first I tried to remove as many paw symbols as possible. This was quite difficult because the plastic is very hard and parts of the interior are not easy to reach.




The removal of the paw patrol symbols left the floor uneven so these parts were covered with plastic material used for insect screens.


Ladders (made from bits of sprue) and other items from the bits box were added. I covered the back of the cockpit with a piece of plastic card, embellished with suitable bits.


Tie-wraps, dwarf shields, Renedra round and square bases, a WH40K hatch, mdf bits from some kit,  plastic card (especially to hide the large paw patrol symbol on the rear hatch) and several other bits were added to the outside of the ship. The cockpit got an elevated floor with two seats and some additional bits (sorry, forgot to take in progress pictures of these steps).

As with the Zurg ship I wanted to be able use this ship for any sci-fi faction in my miniature collection. So I went for a neutral grey paint scheme without any too specific markings and weathering similar to the Zurg ship. The figure in the pictures is a 28mm Imperial Assault Luke.






I cut out printed screen images I collected long ago from some long gone internet source and used these to cover the interior screens where the paw patrol symbols were scraped off.





And some more pictures:






I found painting the interior not easy since a lot of areas are difficult to reach, but I'm satisfied with the overall result. 

The ship will certainly feature in the next installment of our Escape from Aniron Star Wars campaign!


3 comments:

  1. Fantastic result on both ships!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work on the Paw Patrol ship and thanks for the shout-out to CSW. Your masking/paneling of the cockpit canopy is particularly inspired and a great look.

    ReplyDelete