Thursday 23 March 2023

Finally painted the first 28mm figures I bought

 I finally painted the first 28mm I bought over 25 years ago: a set of Foundry samurai.




I have always been interested in medieval Japan and practised a number of martial arts in my younger days. I bought the miniatures at a convention with the idea to add more samurai later. I got sidetracked however and spent a number of years painting and playing WHFB and 40K before returning to historical miniatures. After playing a game of Toofatlardies I Ain't Been Shot Mum at a gaming club I dug up the 1/72 WWII Airfix plastic soldiers from my youth, based and (re)painted them and played a fair amount of IABSM games. This then evolved into acquiring and painting 28mm WWII miniatures, and inevitably expanding to other periods, including eventually Samurai. 

Not 28mm Samurai at first however, but 1/72 plastics for use with a modified version of Toofatlardies Dux Brittaniarum! The price of the required amount of (metal) figures to play the game prevented me from expanding the 28mm samurai, opting for cheaper material and scale instead.

Only when I found low count minature rules like Ronin, Daisho and FfoL, I bought some more samurai. These then spent years waiting in the painting queue before finally encountering a brush with paint.

The next milestone will be an actual game with these miniatures. Although I might get distracted again by other shiny things... 


No comments:

Post a Comment