Saturday 4 September 2021

Project Star Wars Part 2: Vehicles

Although the types of Star Wars games I intend to play (platoon level or smaller) don't require a lot of vehicles, having a few on the table as objectives or terrain would be nice. Through the years I received some as birthday presents or bought them on occasion to be used in generic sci-fi games. I don't think I ever actually used one in a game, mostly because of the too distinctive Star Wars look.

For my Star Wars project I excavated them from my storage to see how they scale with the Star Wars miniatures.

First the Star Speeder 3000, scale: ?. A toy I picked up during a Disneyland visit.


T-47 snowspeeder. A Revell easykit, scale 1:52.


Small Firespray. Fighter pods toy, scale: ?


AAT:  Revell easykit, scale 1:50


Lambda-class T-4a imperial shuttle: Revell easykit, scale 1:106.


  Delta-7 Aethersprite-class (Obi Wan's Jedi starfighter), scale 1:39




The Star speeder, Snowspeeder and Obi Wan's starfighter look good. The Lambda shuttle and Firespray are obviously too small, but I'll use them anyway. Why couldn't there have been a market for Kuat and Sienar to build smaller versions of these ships for operations within a solar system without the need for lightspeed engines? Besides, the cockpit windows don't look too small to me. 

The AAT looks huge at first sight, but the hatch is the right size. I'll probably cover the Trade Federation symbol by a Rebel or Imperial symbol. After the battle of Naboo, a number of these tanks would probably have been captured intact by Naboo forces after the droid control ship was destroyed. These would then later be smuggled off planet by rebels during the occupation by the Imperial forces or pressed into service by the Empire itself.

I did some paint work on the Star Speeder but am planning to do some more weathering and highlighting on all of them (not going for a complete re-paint). The Lambda shuttle will be fitted with an extra landing strut, since the model is really unstable and the struts easily break off.

Looking for other suitable vessels I came across a spare Tau Devilfish model that wouldn't look out of place with some conversions.



And three Thunderbird 2 toys.




The one with Luke in the cockpit will mostly be kept in the original colours. The other ones will be re-painted and get some Aurebesh markings.

Flyers I have enough, but only one land vehicle. Since Star Wars seems to hate wheels, using my wheeled sci-fi vehicles would look a bit wrong somehow. So I'll have to find or scratchbuild a couple of suitable land speeders.



No comments:

Post a Comment