Saturday 28 August 2021

Project: Star Wars (part 1)



After endlessly drooling over the beautifully painted Star Wars miniatures and awesome looking game reports on Leadadventureforum, I finally stopped resisting the urge to get in to Star Wars miniatures and started making a plan for my Star Wars project.

Of the movies I liked part 4, 5 and 6 best, as well as Rogue 1. The Mandalorian series was also great. So I would most likely be going to play games set in the Galactic Empire period or just after. Since I already own a sizeable number of 28mm sci-fi miniatures, I figured I'd already have all the Rebels I'd need, provided they would fit scalewise with Stormtroopers, which I would have to buy. Some of the main movie characters would be nice to have, but I don't intend to replay battles from the movies so no need for a complete set.

After some looking around I bought a second hand Imperial Assault core set and compared the miniatures with other minis from my collection. I've read all sorts of opinions about scale, but as a fan of TLAR (That Looks About Right) I wasn't worried. In any case I was going to use a lot of aliens on the Rebel side and who knows how much they vary in size.

Doesn't look to bad (to me):







The Imperial Assault Rebel's head is a bit big compared to the other human figures (even to the Imperial Assault Imperial officer from the same box!), but otherwise no issues for me.

Of course the alien miniatures from my current collection aren't "real" Star Wars aliens. Although the alien on the left could be an Ongree and the alien on the right could be a Dashade, Dowutin or Boltrunian:


Anyway, with each new movie, new alien species are introduced and the universe is really big so nearly all miniatures representing an alien are plausible I would say.

The Imperial Assault box contained only 9 stormtroopers (and 2 scout troopers). I reckoned I would need more for a game so I've ordered some Star Wars Legion stormtroopers.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to use the Legion rules. Current thoughts are to use 7TV and perhaps Black Ops for small encounters and a Chain of Command adaptation for platoon sized games.



No comments:

Post a Comment