Friday 14 August 2020

What a Walker first game

Ever since I bought the What a Tanker rules from Too Fat Lardies, I have been thinking about using them with my SciFi walker models. After playing a few regular WW2 tank games, I played the first game of What a Walker with my son.

Two Fire Toads faced off against 2 Golgoths (from the OOP game AT-43).

I used the Quadrant 13 ruleset (also from Too Fat Lardies) to "quadrulate"  the stats:

Fire toad: Armour 4, Strike 8, Fast, Small, Rapid Fire (2)

Golgoth: Armour 6, Strike 10, Fast


Extra rules: 

Entire board is short range.

Acquisition sensors: replaces (un)buttoned. Player has to decide to expose acquisition sensors.

Stabilizers: retain aim while moving

Walkers can step over obstacles up to half their leg hight.

Armour value includes active defense equipment, ECM, etc., etc.

I'm well aware that these modifications are insufficient to replicate future or even modern vehicle combat. Firing at each other from over 2 kilometers away would be more "realistic", but would require very small models at 6x4 feet table size. Since I like the big walker models and game play with a minimum of book keeping I wanted to stick as close as possible to What a Tanker.

Let's just say there is a reason to get in close and cause a minimum of collateral damage when gaming Sci Fi. (otherwise the attacker could just nuke the site from orbit), e.g. capturing vital supplies, a power generator, research facilities, prisoners, etc.

The game:

We played the Fat Boy scenario with 2 Walkers each. After some manouvering, my son stepped his Golgoth in front of a taxi trying to flee the battlefield. The taxi crashed into the Golgoth's legs, causing minor scratches on its paint. Towering over the taxi, the Golgoth fired its railguns at my Fire Toad: Hit! Temporary loss of 2 dice.

After this my son decided inexplicably to retreat behind a building with his Golgoth. I retrieved my dice with 2 6-s and advanced towards the second Golgoth, intending to blast it from the side.

Meanwhile the second Golgoth and Fire Toad were firing at each other across a road. Without achieving a single hit my Fire Toad was destroyed. This the repeated itself with my remaining Fire Toad, resulting in a sound victory for my son. Apart from the paint damage caused by the taxi, his Golgoths remained undamaged.

An extra Fire Toad would probably provide a more balanced game. Or I might throw in some larger Walkers....



This trip stops here.

In the line of fire...


One Fire Toad down.


Going down in a blaze of glory
 

No comments:

Post a Comment